Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Food Rules #56-60



We are almost at the end of "Food Rules"...these last couple of entries are from section 3 of the book, which is subtitled "HOW should I eat?" . To this question Pollan answers "Not too much". Here are the next 4 rules to consider:

56. Limit snacks to Unprocessed plant foods (vegetables, fruits & nuts)
57. Don't get your fuel from the same place your car does - I didn't realize this (although it does make sense) but gas stations sell way more snacks and 20oz bottles of sugary drinks than they ever do gas. I'd like to think that it's because we are using public transit, carpooling & biking more - but I think it's more likely that we're just eating in our car more - reaching for the cheap stuff to tide us over because we don't have the time to sit and eat a meal.
58. Do all your eating at a table. See Rule 57.
59. Try not to eat alone. We eat less around a communal table, when conversation and other distraction is involved and we're more prone to overeat when we are alone.
60. Treat treats as Treats. Pollan suggests going by the "S Policy" - no snacks, no seconds, no sweets except on days that begin with the letter 'S'. This rule is harder for me to follow, not becuase I love sweets but because I like to snack. I'm just trying to keep my snacking to more healthy foods like nuts, yogurt & dried fruits.

So there you have it! We'll have the last 4 rules from this book before year end, I promise! Then onto a new blog series in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment