Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Meet Your Makers: Lauren Pett from Rich Chocolates




Rich Chocolates & Candies is a unique company specializing in handmade artisan confections that combine the classic with the contemporary. Lauren's philosophy is that while trends may come and go, chocolate should always be sweet. The next time you are at Provenance, pick up some of her Sea Salt Turtles or other hand-crafted sweets. We can barely keep them in stock!

What do you hope to accomplish through providing quality products?
I want to make people smile, to make someone’s day a little better. And I want to make chocolate fun! So many people make such serious, frou frou chocolates. It’s just not my style. I want to inject a little whimsy and nostalgia into your day.

Is there anyone else on your “team”?
Not yet- I’m in my 4th year as a one-woman business. I am fortunate enough to have an extremely supportive husband who is able to help out from time to time, and occasionally I’ll have an intern or stages, but for the day-to-day ops, it’s just me and my chocolate.

What did you want to do as a kid, "when you grew up"?
As a kid I always dreamed of being an artist of some sort. I was an avid doodler by age 5- my mom would always make sure to bring crayons or pencils so I could draw on diner placemats. This passion for art stuck with me through college, where I received a BFA in photography. But once I was out in the ‘real world’ I realized art would never really fulfill me. I wanted to do something that would connect with people in a positive (and tasty!) way.

What was the spark that led you to working with food?
I had always loved food, desserts in particular, but I never really thought about pursing a culinary career until I had moved out to Chicago and found myself faced with stifling secretarial jobs. I would sit at my desk and daydream about making candies and working with chocolate. After I was laid off for the second time (in less than two years) I decided to go for it.

Where do you find the inspiration for the products/flavors you select for your portfolio?
A lot of my inspiration is based in nostalgia. I like to take familiar flavors and put a contemporary spin on them. The two best examples are probably the Pub Bark, which was inspired by chocolate-covered pretzels (one of my sister’s favorite treats) and the Honey & Sea Salt Pecan Turtles. Everyone knows turtles, but these are a bit more sophisticated.

Other than financial, what risks did you take to get your product(s) to market?
I think any time you put yourself out there, you’re taking a risk. I’ve poured my entire heart and soul into this company. Rich Chocolates & Candies is 100% “me”, and if people don’t like something I’ve created, it’s hard to not take it personally.

What is your favorite story/anecdote that occurred along the way in creating your product?
My first year in business I participated in the Chicago AIDS Foundation’s World of Chocolate event, during which a drag queen described my truffles as “orgasmic.” I’m not sure you can get a better endorsement than that!

Who's your all- time favorite band/singer?
Belle and Sebastian, followed by Sleater Kinney. And I’ll always have a spot in my heart for Billy Joel. What can I say, I’m from New Jersey.

If you could have supper with 3 people (living or deceased), who would they be and why?
Stephen Colbert, because he’s brilliant and hilarious; Jim Henson, because he was such an inspiration to me from a very early age; and my dad, because I’d really like to catch him up on what I’ve been doing in his name.

No comments:

Post a Comment