Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Food Rules #28: If you have the space, buy a freezer


Storing large quantities of seasonal produce & pastured meats ensures you can eat locally year round, even on a budget. If I had a dedicated freezer, I'd call up Beth & Jody at Cedar Valley and buy a side of beef, which would save me money and feed my husband and I for months.

I'd mentioned in an earlier blog that this summer I plan to take advantage of the abundance & seasonality of produce at the farmer's market so I can freeze it and enjoy it mid-winter when local produce is nearly impossible here in Chicago. I can only imagine how much more I could preserve with a large freezer!

Another great way to use the freezer and save money is to make large batches of soup, chili & stock and keep them on hand for use throughout the year. I find soups and chili actually taste better after they've been frozen for a while. And homemade stock is very inexpensive and easy to make. Check out this recipe for stock from the blog That's Not Lettuce: http://thatsnotlettuce.wordpress.com/2010/03/02/instant-soup%E2%80%A6aka-crock-pot-stock/

To quote Jacques Pepin: "Happy Cooking!"

No comments:

Post a Comment